Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Eclipse Worlds 1.2.7

Poor Mike here is just trying to find the best course of action to take. Mike, with an Eclipse based game, try using Skywyre. Many here accept it as one of the most user-friendly and stable branches. If that doesn't float your boat, try EO 3.0 or Worlds. If you're going for a more retro feel, try SEB Engine or EO 2.0.

Nin Online has held 300 players before starting to become unstable. That's why we set the limit to 300 on our dedicated server. Yes these players were from across the world, our community has almost 10,0000 members. This is not a lie.

Mirage Source has been a work in progress game engine for almost 15 years now, going all the way back to the original Mirage Online. Yes I came along late - around 2007. But I have still been apart of the legacy of Mirage. I was not claiming I made it, I did very little to that. Although, I have been part of one of the most successful games made from it in its history and made an engine of my own. I just don't bother to try to help people, cause they just think I am being ego central. I am just offering my expertise at managing a big game like Nin Online. People don't really respect me no matter what, I don't really care and quit caring many years ago. A good developer knows how to work with what they got, not expect everything to be handed to them. You either use what you got aka one of these engines or code your own solution from scratch/using Unity or a custom engine.

I am an abstract person, who looks at things in a weird way. The way most people think is much different and what enables me to succeed vs. failing. Sure I am not a people person, but when I give advice it is just me trying to help not rub anything in anyone's face. Everyone gets all defensive when I say stuff, when you are hurting yourself for not listening. Even I listen to advise, from people like Robin, Rory, and Abhi. I am not perfect and not claiming to be perfect.

(02-04-2016, 02:01 AM)Growlith1223 Wrote: To start off, the server itself can support ~50 without having much issues. i'd very much like to see where everyone's coming up with it's impossible to do so. 100+ would have a bit of issues with stability with the event system, especially since it was never optimized at all ever since it was created years ago.

Helladen, please just stop trying to act like you're the best programmer in the world, you're not, half your code is just abysmal abominations concocted from your own imagination.

Mike, if you're ever going to learn to program, just don't do vb6, vb.net is more of an exception because it's in a more modern language and uses a better compiler, C#/VB.net are a good start to learning.
If I come to a point where going on without having to learn programming to some degree is impossible due to the engines available, I think I'd go for Unity and try to get used to it, rather than trying to make my own Engine etc..

(02-04-2016, 05:00 AM)SkywardRiver Wrote: Poor Mike here is just trying to find the best course of action to take. Mike, with an Eclipse based game, try using Skywyre. Many here accept it as one of the most user-friendly and stable branches. If that doesn't float your boat, try EO 3.0 or Worlds. If you're going for a more retro feel, try SEB Engine or EO 2.0.
Is there an estimation as to how many players your Engine can handle *roughly*?

Retro feel isn't exactly what I'm going for... since the Game I planned will take place in Space.

(02-04-2016, 11:59 AM)Helladen Wrote: Nin Online has held 300 players before starting to become unstable. That's why we set the limit to 300 on our dedicated server. Yes these players were from across the world, our community has almost 10,0000 members. This is not a lie.

Mirage Source has been a work in progress game engine for almost 15 years now, going all the way back to the original Mirage Online. Yes I came along late - around 2007. But I have still been apart of the legacy of Mirage. I was not claiming I made it, I did very little to that. Although, I have been part of one of the most successful games made from it in its history and made an engine of my own. I just don't bother to try to help people, cause they just think I am being ego central. I am just offering my expertise at managing a big game like Nin Online. People don't really respect me no matter what, I don't really care and quit caring many years ago. A good developer knows how to work with what they got, not expect everything to be handed to them. You either use what you got aka one of these engines or code your own solution from scratch/using Unity or a custom engine.

I am an abstract person, who looks at things in a weird way. The way most people think is much different and what enables me to succeed vs. failing. Sure I am not a people person, but when I give advice it is just me trying to help not rub anything in anyone's face. Everyone gets all defensive when I say stuff, when you are hurting yourself for not listening. Even I listen to advise, from people like Robin, Rory, and Abhi. I am not perfect and not claiming to be perfect.
So, to bring this to a conclusion: You are not going to update the Engine here to the standard you said you would *for whatever reason*.

Fine if that's how it is, but stop giving nonsensical replies which are completely unrelated and serve only your ego.

All I did was asking weither or not this Engine will be updated to what you said you would and what you said runs fine in an actual Game. I did NOT ask for help with any specific issue requiring you to go out of your way to fix it or whatever, yet you act like I demanded a half-finished Game from you. Neither did I even question the online count of NIN Online and other things... yet you act like I did.

(02-04-2016, 11:59 AM)Helladen Wrote: Yes these players were from across the world, our community has almost 10,0000 members. This is not a lie.

How active are they? Your community could have almost 1,000,000 members for all anyone cares, but if only 10 members are active then that number really doesn't matter.

We had 500 logins for awhile, but this only happens when Rory is around. Now we're around 100 or so logins daily.

I wasn't serving my 'ego', I said I was updating my engine and was responding to OTHER people not you. I have been updating it for many years, the problem is when you start to add a lot of features and make it a cookie cutter engine it starts to get a lot of bugs. My engine is the most efficient engine, but it has bugs right now. The new versions have supported the old versions for years. It will support 300 players just like my other games do... I hate the attitude people got for free stuff, they act privileged.

I do not care if anyone uses my engine, I am going to use it. I think the rest of the engines here are badly written. Bugs are easy for me to fix, rewriting the entire engine again is not. Although, I am going to make a GUI editor and more editors than any game engine. I just am focusing now on making it pretty and getting rid of bugs. It may be crap right now, but I promise you that I will make it the best. It already has the most flexible editors and configuration out of any engine, I am just strengthening the GUI aspect now. I am trying to keep balance and not go overboard - keep code clean and lightweight. That's why I am removing a few of my editors and building them into other editors.

Just don't think you can get high numbers, it makes you sound like an ass for saying I have a big ego. I never though I'd get 300 player peaks on launch days. This is thanks to a team effort from Rory and our team. Not many games manage to get these numbers, even Pokemon Eclipse games in the past. They'd get less than 100.

(02-04-2016, 03:29 PM)Helladen Wrote: We had 500 logins for awhile, but this only happens when Rory is around. Now we're around 100 or so logins daily.

I wasn't serving my 'ego', I said I was updating my engine and was responding to OTHER people not you. I have been updating it for many years, the problem is when you start to add a lot of features and make it a cookie cutter engine it starts to get a lot of bugs. My engine is the most efficient engine, but it has bugs right now. The new versions have supported the old versions for years. It will support 300 players just like my other games do... I hate the attitude people got for free stuff, they act privileged.

I do not care if anyone uses my engine, I am going to use it. I think the rest of the engines here are badly written. Bugs are easy for me to fix, rewriting the entire engine again is not. Although, I am going to make a GUI editor and more editors than any game engine. I just am focusing now on making it pretty and getting rid of bugs. It may be crap right now, but I promise you that I will make it the best. It already has the most flexible editors and configuration out of any engine, I am just strengthening the GUI aspect now. I am trying to keep balance and not go overboard - keep code clean and lightweight. That's why I am removing a few of my editors and building them into other editors.

Just don't think you can get high numbers, it makes you sound like an ass for saying I have a big ego. I never though I'd get 300 player peaks on launch days. This is thanks to a team effort from Rory and our team. Not many games manage to get these numbers, even Pokemon Eclipse games in the past. They'd get less than 100.
I think we've been talking about different things...

I did not ask for you to add features etc. my only concern was about the stability.

That said, a GUI Editior would help me a lot, as the Game I plan on doing won't even have a human(ish) character to control.
(02-04-2016, 10:23 PM)SkywardRiver Wrote: I swear, after reading some of his posts, whenever I try and picture Helladen in my head I see Phil Fish.
LOL

(02-04-2016, 05:00 AM)SkywardRiver Wrote: Poor Mike here is just trying to find the best course of action to take. Mike, with an Eclipse based game, try using Skywyre. Many here accept it as one of the most user-friendly and stable branches. If that doesn't float your boat, try EO 3.0 or Worlds. If you're going for a more retro feel, try SEB Engine or EO 2.0.

Indeed, both Eclipse Worlds and Eclipse Skywyre are fantastic engines out there to use, but the truth is that any new user will run into an issue and will be at the mercy of the developer such as Helleden or SkywardRiver, if a person like Mike were to run into a problem. It wouldn't matter what he would choose either or any because in the end he would end up troubleshooting though the source nontheless if he doesn't have the patients for fix release, especially when it comes to features. Wouldn't you agree?

I actually think Phil Fish was a good guy, he just didn't have the filters to block out stuff. He would be racist, when he could of worded it better and been completely right. The Internet is biased most of the time and is not always right. In the case of the Reddit out surge last week about the whole copyright issue with React World. They worded it wrong and got the Internet's wrath. That's how the Internet is, it is not really a good place for freedom of speech either. You get shamed and attacked constantly. Skyward also, you are being no better - I am nowhere near the same as Phil Fish. You are just the typical Internet troll who has no facts but goes on instinct.

I had to use a closed-source engine many years ago, these engines are open-source. If you can't program, good luck making a MMO plugin or getting Photon working (Unity) from scratch with no experience either. Your only choices really are Eclipse engines, you should mess around with them and see which one you like more. Keep an eye on both engines and see which one has the features you need most. Also, all these engines have game breaking bugs, you just haven't found them yet. Make a game with a lot of players and you will find them. You need a programmer to make a good game, end of story.

Cleaned up some nasty posts, please stay on topic.
Whats good my dudes

I have done a maintenance update.
https://hitsparkinteractive.com/resources/eclipse-worlds.2/

Updated the topic, I am going to be having a way to port content over from Eclipse Worlds to Inspire (made for Silverdale HD), an engine coded by Vaughan Hilts a long time ago. I am going to finish the engine and migrate the codebase to MonoGame. There's still a lot of other stuff I need to improve before releasing it publicly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eclipse Origins 4.3.4 Helladen 7 5,167 08-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Helladen
  Eclipse Worlds 1.2.6 Helladen 44 10,666 05-30-2015, 05:08 AM
Last Post: cricri
  Eclipse Projects Officer Johnson 1 1,860 03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Last Post: PD
  Eclipse Origins 4.2.2 Helladen 16 5,820 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Helladen
  Eclipse Origins 4.2.1 Update Released! jcsnider 33 12,307 12-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Last Post: whitespirits