Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to setup the built-in updater.

How to Setup and use the Built in Updater!

(For Game Owners)

Version 1.0

Hello Eclipse users! In this guide I will show you how to setup and get started with the Eclipse Updater. After you release one or two updates for your game you will not have the need to reference this guide anymore, it is that easy!

Requirements

1. WinRar, 7Zip or another program that an archive files/folders into .rar format. I will be using WinRar in this tutorial so if you do not know about these programs or how they work I recommend WinRar.
  2. A internet location where you can upload files and get direct download links for them.  If you have a website or any file hosting service where you can upload files you are good to go. Otherwise, there are many services out there in which you can sign up for free and upload files and get direct links. Dropbox is an excellent application and is perfect for our purposes so I will be showing you all how to use Dropbox for the updater. If you do not have a service for file hosting and you do not have a Dropbox account you can follow the guide in the spoiler below on how to create a Dropbox account.
How to Setup Dropbox:

2. On their homepage sign up for an account. (Screenshot Below)

3. Go to https://www.dropbox.com/home (You do not need to install their software unless you want to!)

You should see a screen similar to this one...

4. Click on the new folder icon indicated below.

5. Name the new folder "Eclipse Updates".

That is all for now. We will come back to this step so leave the page open!

How to Create your first Update

After you have acquired an archiving software and somewhere to distribute your updates you will need to create your very first update. The initial update should include ALL of the files needed to run your game while the following updates will only have the files that need to be updated.

Note: Before making your first update, be sure to look at and follow this tutorial! If you have not done this (same link), the updating will not work!

1. To create your first update, you will want to go and visit your data directory that you setup in the tutorial above.

Your data directory will be located at Client Folder/Data Files/YourSpecificDataFolder/.

[Image: 28.png]

2. Updates only focus on the content INSIDE your data directory so go ahead and navigate into it, select every file and folder and add them into a .rar archive.
[Image: 5.png]

3. After the .rar file is made, go ahead and rename it to update1.rar.
[Image: 6.png]

4.The next part requires you to upload the update to the internet. If you are using Dropbox, go ahead and go back into Dropbox and open up the Eclipse Update folder and upload that update to it.

[Image: 7.png]

(The upload button is boxed in red at the top.)

5. Now, we need to get a link for this update so go ahead and right click on the file in Dropbox and select share link.
[Image: 8.png]

6. On the page that opens up, right click on the download button and click on copy link, this link is the direct download link to the file. Once it is copied, open up notepad and save it as we will need it here in just a minute.
[Image: 9.png]

7. Next, open up a blank notepad document then copy and paste this into it and replace the update url with the url from dropbox.

Code:
[Updates]
CurrentVersion=1
[Update1]
UpdateURL=PutYourUpdateUrlHere

8. [Important] After the URL hit enter 2 or 3 times to leave a few blank spaces. When done, your notepad file should look similar to this.
[Image: 10.png]

9. Now, hit file and save as on the notepad file. When saving it, name it 'Update.ini' and be sure to set the file type to 'All Files'.
[Image: 11.png]

10. Finally, go back to dropbox, upload your 'update.ini' file and get the link for it (just like we did for the update).
[Image: 12.png]

11.Go back to your server control panel and add the link as the update url, hit save and relaunch your game.
[Image: 13.png]

If all goes well, your client (and anyone who connects to your server) will to begin downloading the first content pack. If not, I am leaving this thread open for questions as this (in my opinion) is the most complicated feature in the Eclipse game engine.

How to release new updates:

To be continued. I will finish this guide soon but releasing new updates are simple. Only .rar the new files/folders and then in your update.ini add the new update under the first one in notepad and re-upload it. Like I said, it is pretty easy after you have done it once or twice Wink.

-JC

[Image: logo.png][Image: logo.png]

I keep getting "Runtime error 55' Already Open".

EDIT: I got it working, it's the little things that matter haha. Awesome tutorial by the way!

Always helping the ec communitty , you are the best man , thanks for everything

I have a Poblem Wink when i started my Game, i become Runtime error 55 Already Open.

Can you help me??

Quote:
I have a Poblem Wink when i started my Game, i become Runtime error 55 Already Open.

Can you help me??
what has happened is youre server is still running look for it in your task bar on the right side of the screen. it will look like a little server. That should open it up, For future notice try to click the exit button in the program just to make sure its closed when you want it to be.

That, or they're like me and forgot/didn't see to press "Share Link" and copy that download button from Dropbox.

I tried to add a second patch, but the patcher says its offline?

I get how this works, but one thing confuses me. This guide has a "How to create your first update" and "How to release new updates." It makes it seem like releasing a new update is different from the first.

Wouldn't it be the same? Just get your updated files, zip it, dropbox, share link, notepad, etc.?

Yea, the second one is the same exact thing, you just add the new update to your dropbox and add it to the ini and increase the version number.

Basically, when releasing your second should be quicker and easier because you have everything setup.

Will you post your update.ini link here, darkkitten? I will see if I can find anything wrong.

So, how do I fic error 55?? I tried restarting client and sever but, that didnt work

Thanks

Edit: Coff coff Solved... coff cooff, what Gleech said before xD

New problem, when its updating I get this message: There was an error trying to update! The update maybe offline or server maybe configure incorrectly! 

Sounds like your update.ini is misconfiguered. Will you post your download links, and a screenshot of your server control panel page?

Thanks for the quick answer.

Here they are:

Zip file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vcacovv3av1xqq9/Update1.zip?dl=1&token_hash=AAFzBuW3yC0npMUtT8uVNG5xJP-QTqYAqfhnyI727PL0GQ

Ini file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/rv9k1mjgpuk8ev6/update.ini?dl=1&token_hash=AAE6X2Kh7AnT0aAPB98pDOEbwzNB1DNStrdhtkfutAqnxQ

Screenshot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uu8n1h45fuo71l/Captura%20de%20pantalla%202013-11-21%2013.39.59.png

EDIT/MOVE:

Solved, I was using Izarc and that made my file a zip file.

Conclusion... Always follow the steps carefully hehehe

Sorry about that, hope my error solves other ones problems

[Image: 1899120_733031540055090_874166516_n.jpg?...6043d1ac61]

how to solve this?

While I totally understand this is meant for Eclipse 4, Is there any way to do this on Eclipse 3? I'm a newbie with this engine but I would like to know if it's as easy as that before I start tinkering away. (Sorry for necroing)

Quote:
While I totally understand this is meant for Eclipse 4, Is there any way to do this on Eclipse 3? I'm a newbie with this engine but I would like to know if it's as easy as that before I start tinkering away. (Sorry for necroing)
Ask in the Q&A for EO 2.0-3.0 They will provide you with a link to Robin's Autoupdater. Wise Rock doesn't have the link no more.
The Wisest Rock yet xD
Got a question, I got the Answer
I will not be active as much so  Sad but I can try to be as active as I can be.

"Note: Before making your first update, be sure to look at and follow this tutorial! If you have not done this (same link), the updating will not work!"

I cant click the links, they are broke. I am still working with EO 4.0, please can someone help me?