Pokemon HG is a pokemon game / engine being developed in C# by a friend and myself.
I personally am in charge of developing the game, whislt he does most of the designing and level planning.
So far the engine has the following features:
- Simple to use 3 Layer Tile System
- Animated Sprites
- Particle Engine for weater (Rain, snow, sandstorm + more?)
- Automatic weather changes (Every 1 - 10 minutes a new weather event will occur -> (if not “Sunny Day” then weather = sunny day else weather = random weather)
- Particle Engine for attacks (incomplete, currently working on this).
- Day / Night detection
- Event System (Events can be created and modified throughout the game based off player location and stats (will add based off result, e.g. if a battle is one)
- Speech dialogs (scrolling text)
- Basic Battle Engine (uses original pokemon formula for dammage)
- Dynamic, easy to edit Pokemon database
- Dynamic, easy to edit Pokemon attack database
- Much more.
The engine is currently using GDI+ and can achieve over 60FPS, but I have limited the game to 20FPS due to it’s simplicity I feel it shouldn’t require anything hire then that (please note that I am considering switching to SDL.NET due to the amount of people that have suggested I move away from GDI+). The purpose of this project is to create a Pokemon Game of my own as well as supply people with a decent engine in which they can create their own fan based games as well.
Somethings to do on my list are:
- Rooms (Right now there is only one big map
- Pokemon level system (right now pokemon are all set to their appropriate level, however their is a already variables setup within the pokemon to allow leveling (XP and Level).
- Pokemon Attack Animation (Right now im working on one type of animation per attack type (e.g. normal, fire, water, leaf, etc).
- Item system (potions, revieves, etc)
- much more
Also I’ll be posting some game play videos soon, I started this project last week and plan to have it done before the summer so I can start my next project.