RAM Questions

I have just bourght a new PC and there’s some things I wan’t to know about RAM.

1. Does it matter what DDR I get? I know there is different types, I just don’t know which one to chose.

2. If I was to turn my PC off, open it up, take out the old RAM, put in the new RAM, close it and boot it, would it work? Or would I have to install a driver or something?

You need to make sure the RAM you are getting is compatible with your motherboard.  There are no drivers to install

Personally i went with DDR2 DDR is outdated DDR3 is new but more pricey. Though it all depends if your motherboard can support it. So if you already have the computer i would check what type the motherboard takes.

You dont need to install drivers just click it in and your good to go.

Oh good, so if it weren’t a price issue and my motherboard was up for it, DDR3 would be better?

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

Oh good, so if it weren’t a price issue and my motherboard was up for it, DDR3 would be better?

Yes

How do I test to see what my motherboard can handle?

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

Look up your motherboard model and see what it is compatible with

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

If the motherboard is under 6 years old; DDR2
if the motherboard is over 6 years old; DDR

My motherboard lists it right next to the ram slots.

Cba to open it up right now. It’s kind of new so I’m thinking it’s DDR2, I’ll check tommorow. Also another question, 3.33GHz processer speed is pretty god damn fast right?

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

Cba to open it up right now. It’s kind of new so I’m thinking it’s DDR2, I’ll check tommorow. Also another question, 3.33GHz processer speed is pretty god damn fast right?

How many cores? 😛

Dunno, It’s a Intel Celeron D processer.

I was going to get a computer that could be overclocked to 3.75GHz with no issues.
You should look on Google for ‘‘Crucial’’. Does a ram analysis on your computer and tells you what ram you have and what is supported.

if your running it right now just goto your start menu goto run (or type in search bar) dxdiag and hit enter.

Oh, it says I have a max of 1GB per slot.

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

Dunno, It’s a Intel Celeron D processer.

single core

@Jna:

I was going to get a computer that could be overclocked to 3.75GHz with no issues.

Unless your doing teraflops, overclocking is for hardware noobs.

also, dont get more ram unless you frequently max out.

Maxing out is when all your RAM is being used right?

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

yes.

@Zetta:

@¡sıɹɹɐɥ:

yes.

A small hijack but may be useful to harris:
Task manager Physical memory is the amount of ram being used, yes?