Default Tileset/Sprites/Music for Eclipse

I was thinking for awhile now…

Currently the tilesets we use for Eclipse are the RMXP ones, which are very nice, but also not entirely legal.  Most users are forced into the realization that they’ll need to get their own custom tilesets/sprites/music for Eclipse when they want to make a game that doesn’t branch copyright.

So I was thinking; what if we changed the default sprites/tiles for the engine to use resources that weren’t under such copyright as RMXP tiles are (e.g. “you must use the RMXP engine”, etc)?

I know breeze is kind of limited (from my understanding), but what is the licence on Inquisitor’s?
There’s also alot of very good music out there that is legal and free, as well as sprites, etc.

What is everyone else’s view on this?

Inquisitor’s tileset is exclusive to RPG Palace, so we are not allowed to distribute them, but it are not licensed specifically to RMXP users only. So long as you download it from the main site, it does not say what you can or can’t use it for.

As for sprites and music, I’m unsure of sites where to find files we can distribute freely.

I was actually thinking about this a bit, myself. My idea was to just have a small amount of tiles, like EO does, forcing users to find/make their own graphics, so it’s not an issue of whether we can distribute it, as it would be up to the end user to secure such agreements, etc. However, given that most Eclipse users (I’d say upwards of 90%) don’t take the time to make their own stuff, this would limit a target market, and most likely increase the amount of questions about graphics around the forum.

As much as I’d like to say we should make our own sets of graphics/music, I don’t think we have the resources available to do so. Even though there are many people who are good at what they do, there are just so many styles throughout the community, and it’s a lot of work creating a set, as it is.

A while ago Soljah was working on some tiles, what happened to that?

I’d design default tilesets if I was paid. And it would be more extensive and much better then Breeze. XD

I think the Eclipse community tileset should be used.

@Ballie:

Inquisitor’s tileset is exclusive to RPG Palace, so we are not allowed to distribute them, but it are not licensed specifically to RMXP users only. So long as you download it from the main site, it does not say what you can or can’t use it for.

As for sprites and music, I’m unsure of sites where to find files we can distribute freely.

I was actually thinking about this a bit, myself. My idea was to just have a small amount of tiles, like EO does, forcing users to find/make their own graphics, so it’s not an issue of whether we can distribute it, as it would be up to the end user to secure such agreements, etc. However, given that most Eclipse users (I’d say upwards of 90%) don’t take the time to make their own stuff, this would limit a target market, and most likely increase the amount of questions about graphics around the forum.

As much as I’d like to say we should make our own sets of graphics/music, I don’t think we have the resources available to do so. Even though there are many people who are good at what they do, there are just so many styles throughout the community, and it’s a lot of work creating a set, as it is.

Yeah, I see; we wouldn’t be able distribute the engine with Inquisitor’s then.  As for music, there’s afew topics in the Resources Board from users posting “free music”, etc, though I’m not sure what the licence for them is, if used for commercial purposes; one example is this one site I found: http://www.personal.psu.edu/djg270/CA/repository/  That source has some of the best music I’ve seen, yet it doesn’t have any licence (that I can find) – which is a problem.

Your idea, of a small tileset, isn’t actually a bad one.  Maybe put a small set of public-domain tiles in the Tiles1.bmp, and a small amount of sprites, and that be it; I don’t think we would loose too many users for doing that, but yeah, we would probably have alot more “how do I add sprites/gfx/etc” questions.  Then again, we could always answer that in the FAQ, maybe write a tutorial on adding sprites and putting it in there; may limit the amount of questions by a number.

As far as creating one goes, there are afew custom sprites/tiles/music, in the Resources Board, though it’s not as good as creating an entire set of resources from scratch (which would certainly be too much), sets like slym’s epic tileset certainly shouldn’t be ignored (and he’s even, before, opted for his to be the default tiles).

@¡ʇsǝq:

I think the Eclipse community tileset should be used.

The community tileset isn’t exactly “bad”, but it’s sort of “mixed” (from what I remember), due to the individualized-style of contribution.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

The community tileset isn’t exactly “bad”, but it’s sort of “mixed” (from what I remember), due to the individualized-style of contribution.

So it will encourge people to make their own. If you give them a really good tileset, they’re going to want to keep it.

The community tileset is terrible. xD

I ship EO with barely any resources. The only reason I even set it up to run with RMXP stuff is because that’s what everyone is used to from Eclipse.

I think Slym’s tileset would be a good choice.

The default resources should consist of mostly templates.

@Mr.:

The default resources should consist of mostly templates.

Yeah, with one grass tile and one sprite.

Btw, your avatar is looking straight at me.

I think Slym’s tileset is a nice start. It’s obviously not as complete as RMXP sets, but since we’re looking for something to show off how Eclipse is meant to handle things like this, it’s not a bad start.

If we could get a few simple sprites, items, spell animations, and music tracks we’d have a very nice start.