Legal Question

Hello,
I am aware Eclipse is free and open source, but what licence is it released under? Do I have to give away the source code if I distribute the binary to a modified client or server?
Thanks!

You don’t have to give away the source, as Eclipse is not under the GNU licence.
Here is our licensing: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,29732.0.html

@Admiral:

You don’t have to give away the source, as Eclipse is not under the GNU licence.
Here is our licensing: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,29732.0.html

Alright. A two other questions raised by reading that:
1. Am I allowed to freely give away the source code if modified?
2. Am I allowed to have a premium or paid version of any games I create?

@Limey:

@Admiral:

Yes
No

@Limey:

@Admiral:

1. See:
“a) Subject to the terms of this Agreement, each Contributor hereby grants Recipient a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute and sublicense the Contribution of such Contributor, if any, and such derivative works, in source code and object code form.”

In other words, yes.

2. Yes, but I advise you to read the final note:

“Be aware about licenses, free games have less problems with them but commercial games that receive revenue need to beware of what they are using. Most company’s will never spend the time and money to sue a small (or even some what big) online rpg using its graphics or other materials. We have never had a problem with it in our many years of using them. But this needed to be posted to keep you away from what could happen and also keep our hine ends from being hijacked with a large shiny knife of death.”

@Mr.Prince:

Yes
No

Actually read the license before posting please.

Yes, you are allowed to charge subscriptions. However, given that most of the Eclipse GFX sets are illegal rips, I’d advise against it, unless you have custom everything (minus the engine, which is the only thing Eclipse is responsible for, anyway).

@Ballie:

Yes, you are allowed to charge subscriptions. However, given that most of the Eclipse GFX sets are illegal rips, I’d advise against it, unless you have custom everything (minus the engine, which is the only thing Eclipse is responsible for, anyway).

So… is a game made with eclipse even legal to be running?

@Limey:

@Ballie:

So… is a game made with eclipse even legal to be running?

Of course they’re legal.

The graphics, music, etc, that comes with the engine, are for example purposes – templates, if you would.  You can use them if you’re not charging for your game, but you’re using the same sort of copyright (or lack, thereof) people deal with when making a fan game – that is, they can’t charge anything for it (even donations).

If you’re going to make your own game (that’s 100% you), you’d want to use your own graphics, music, etc; not the example graphics that come with the engine.