Greetings, I need sugestions plzz

Hello, I’m not new to Eclipse, but after frustrating attempts I Uninstall an Gave up. Soo I decided to start fresh, and I’m asking for suggestions on which version of Eclipse you think I should use and also one of the reasons I gave up is because I couldn’t connect with my teammate using Hamachi for some strange reason, my server showed on line, and we both connected to the same server but he didn’t showed in my window and I didn’t showed in his.  :sad: so my other question is, what should I use to put my server on line and where can I get a tutorial for putting it online with the suggested app. Thanks a lot.  :azn:

Hi, welcome to the forums 🙂

Glad you decided not to give up; for future reference, if you have any questions regarding the engine, you are free to post it in this board, as everyone will be happy to help.

For your first question, I’d recommend getting Eclipse Evolution 2.8, as it has the least amount of bugs and is still being debugged all the time :azn:

For the second question, you will find alot of informative tutorials on Eclipse in the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,34.0.html board, more closely there is a topic called http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,36286.0.html and has guides that are essential for running this engine successfully (EE2.8, btw, has an extensive help system built-in); in that topic, a hamachi tutorial is provided.

@Tefo93:

I gave up is because I couldn’t connect with my teammate using Hamachi for some strange reason, my server showed on line, and we both connected to the same server but he didn’t showed in my window and I didn’t showed in his.

Did you change the IP in config.ini to his hamachi IP?
And i’m guessing you were both running a server?

Again, Thanks a lot.
Okay, so I decided to follow the “The Universal Handbook to Online Game Hosting” wich is great BTW in the MUST READ Tutorials!!! post on the Tutorial Section. Buuut it seems I’m having trouble again :S. If u follow the guide you’ll notice that I’m having problem in the last step!!! So please help me! I have a Linksys WRT54G and I took a screenshot so… If any1 knows how it’s suppose to look plzz let me know what I’m doing wrong.  :icon_crap:

www.port-foward.com is easier. It has instructions specific to the router you’re using.

Actually I followed those instructions too, but it’s the same that last step, IDK it’s confusing  :lipsrsealed: in http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/Eclipse.htm after u choose your Router and Eclipse. One of the last steps, it says:

Click the Applications & Gaming link near the top of the page.(okay, Duh)

You should now see a new menu. In this new menu, click Port Range Forward.(okay)

We will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. Eclipse requires you to forward the 4000 ports. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the Port Range Forward menu. (So I do it, but apparently something goes wrong.)

Because when I use the Port Checker tool it says the Port is close. Again any help would be appreciated  :azn:

Unfortunately my port forwarding never seems to work, what sort of internet are you using because there is another way to make mine work (Linksys on SBC)

If that doesn’t work just use no-ip.com

I use Mozilla if that’s what you’re asking. lol. I don’t really care anymore of what method I’m using (sorry if it sounds rude  :embarrassed: ) I just want it to work just fine. So any one who thinks he/she has the right solution for me PLEASE. Help me  :azn:

got to no-ip.com it’s a program which changes your ip. The i.p. you choose you put as your ip in the ip config.

that works as well, personally this is what ive done

type your 192.etc.etc.etc in your iexplorer
it should bring up a page that show a few options
go to the firewall settings
select your computer and allow all programs (DMZ mode or something)

it will ask for a password which most likely will be the default which would be like password, admin, <blank>, etc
I dont know if this works for non sbc internet but its worth a shot?</blank>

@zearth:

that works as well, personally this is what ive done

type your 192.etc.etc.etc in your iexplorer
it should bring up a page that show a few options
go to the firewall settings
select your computer and allow all programs (DMZ mode or something)

it will ask for a password which most likely will be the default which would be like password, admin, <blank>, etc
I dont know if this works for non sbc internet but its worth a shot?</blank>

The first numbers can be different as mine is like 10.etc.etc.etc

well again, this may be linksys only. 192.x.xxx.x or w/e is a private ip and thats what i use to access it (not sure how it works for anyone else)

@Tefo93:

Again, Thanks a lot.
Okay, so I decided to follow the “The Universal Handbook to Online Game Hosting” wich is great BTW in the MUST READ Tutorials!!! post on the Tutorial Section. Buuut it seems I’m having trouble again :S. If u follow the guide you’ll notice that I’m having problem in the last step!!! So please help me! I have a Linksys WRT54G and I took a screenshot so… If any1 knows how it’s suppose to look plzz let me know what I’m doing wrong.  :icon_crap:

It looks right to me; as long as the ip when you use ipconfig is 192.168.1.102, then you’re port forwarding correctly.  Just hit “Save” and stuff.

Hmmm… I think what I’m missing is what zearth said about the Firewall setting, well I hope is that because if it isn’t IDK what I’m gonna do  :sad: .
Sooo… just to clear it up where is that Firewall function? In Control Panel?

And BTW I haven’t downloaded Eclipse yet, I first wanted to open the ports before doing it, But just now I read a Tutorial, and it said I needed to download it and then copy the Client and modify the client’s copy… The question is, do I need Eclipse downloaded before I open the ports to make it available?

You can use Eclipse and make an entire game without ever port forwarding, since you can run the Client and Server on the same machine.

Port Forwarding is needed if you want to allow other users to connect to your game, but if you are just starting out, chances are you’ll most likely be messing with eclipse for awhile before actually going to make a real game, and it would be even longer before you actually release the game to the public; by then, you may even have a dedicated server on a different machine.

All you need to do, is after downloading, extracting, etc, go into the Config.ini (in the Client Folder), and make sure ip=127.0.0.1 and port=4000
Then you can run the server and client on the same machine without port forwarding.

Either way, I’d recommend you read this tutorial (and go though it while having the engine running): http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,36848.0.html

Downloading for port forwarding is not neccesary and as admiral said, you may not need it for a while.

What im saying is that you type your private ip (mine is 192.168.1.254) into your iexplorer (where you type www.etc.com)
It opens a page for your internet’s system and you should find something on there that says firewall. You click on that and it should have a link somewhere that says settings.
Then you select your computer from the pop-down list and then go to the bullets on the bottom and select DMZ mode.

Again, this may not work for what internet you are using. Mine is wireless (Linksys) hosted on SBC. You can try it, but no promises xD

Well, according to Reply #3, it looks like he has logged into his router (with that image he gave me), and it looks like he port forwarded correctly.  I still don’t understand what part he’s confused about.

Okay I’m gonna do the Firewall thing, my real doubt is I’ve been following Tutorials perfectly (well apparently not) and I can’t still open the port. I want to get it online because for me is one of the hardest things to do and I just wanted to get it over with and understand what is my problem once and for all.

Well this is the only thing I could find about Firewall, nothing abou a DMZ option.

How exactly are you trying to open the port?

Once running Eclipse, it opens port 4000 automatically for you; and when you run the engine, the firewall should automatically detect it and ask you if you want to allow it to network, you click “Yes” or “Unblock”.