A few problems… =/

I’m having a few problems with port forwarding and sprites… (I am using an older version of eclipse I downloaded about a year ago) I followed a tutorial and it worked perfectly. I copied the original client folder to a folder on my desktop. I ran it and it worked perfectly. I didn’t even need to change the IP adress in “config” (because if I did it wouldn’t connect to my server, which it was able to do if I left it untouched) I logged into my admin account which worked perfectly (Im assuming the other accounts my friends have made will work too) BUT every sprite, item sprite, and tile I have added to the game have become invisible. (Every character is using a new sprite so this is a huge problem) I could really use someone’s help figuring this out… I added all the sprites to the client in the extracted folder with the main client and the server and it worked in the game. Was I supposed to do that? Or was I supposed to changed the sprites in the zip folder?

That sounds like a BIG bug.  I recommend posting this in the Bugs and Errors topic.

Can we have a screenshot please?

Here is a pic where you can see that my character, the tiles I added, and the sidebar that I changed are all invisible. http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/kekaiyu/PFglitch.jpg
Btw the map looks alot better with the tiles I added. Also it works fine on the main client, but not on the copied one.

Oh wow, is that Total Eclipse?
That’s a old and and (very!) unstable version; it could be any number of things, to your character’s sprites pointing to an empty spot on the sprite sheet, to the rendering system failing….

I suppose you’re in a position where you must keep using that version?  If not, I would recommend you switch to Eclipse Evolution 1.0 or Eclipse Evolution 2.7 (I think there’s a Total Eclipse to Eclipse Evolution 1.0 map converter, if you want it; I can’t guarantee it would work though).

Ok, thanks. I really don’t want to start over though. That seems like the best option but I have over 50 maps already and I really don’t want to remake them… Where is that map converter I could try out?

Actually, I just found a nice script, that should work with TE (to copy the maps into .ini files).

This would be a better bet, as it converts for EE2.7 as well: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,32620.0.html

I’d recommend using the script the person in the first reply made, rather than the one in the main post itself (same instructions).

Then, just download Eclipse Evolution 2.7 (if you don’t have Visual Basic 6.0, then you may want to try out Eclipse Evolution 1.0).  Then either use that Map Copying Script, or back up your maps and try out the Te-to-EE map converter (will only convert TE to EE1.0, I think), which I’ve attached to my post.

Afew things to note if you’re going to switch though.
If you’re using the tilesets and sprites from your game, make sure you go into the Data.ini, and set “Spritesize=0” (I think TE uses 32x32 sprites, right?).
Make sure you set the map size to the same size it currently is in your game (if you have scrolling maps).
Make several backups of your TE folder before attempting anything, and NEVER run any map converters in the original version; rather copy the whole folder to a new location, and run everything in the copy.

I don’t know if I could all ALL that… I think I would probably mess up my game. I have another quick question that might help. If I load the GFX and GUI from the new client in paint and change them to the current tilesets I’m using, will the sprites work for me and the people I send the game to?

@Okime:

I don’t know if I could all ALL that… I think I would probably mess up my game. I have another quick question that might help. If I load the GFX and GUI from the new client in paint and change them to the current tilesets I’m using, will the sprites work for me and the people I send the game to?

If it would work for you, it’d work for them, most of the time atleast.

As for messing up your game. that’s why I said (and I can’t stress this enough) to do the upgrade by making a new copy of your folder, and making the upgrade via that copy; this way if you mess something up, you can just continue (trying to) use TE.

Though, it’s not TOO much, if you want to save your maps, and want to upgrade to EE2.7, then use that map script to copy them all/  Then, use microsoft paintbrush to copy the sprites in the Sprites.bmp to the EE2.7 Sprites.bmp, and the tilesets, etc (they must be just like they are in the game).

Don’t change the GUI, EE uses an entirely different GUI format.

Also, if you don’t want to use the map copying script (I know it’s abit labor intensive) or you don’t have Visual Basic 6 (I’d recommend having it, if you’re going into EE2.7), then you can just use EE1.0, and try the file I’ve attached.

Ok, thanks so much for the help! I solved the invisible problem, but I think I will do the upgrade too. Thx again! =D

@Okime:

Ok, thanks so much for the help! I solved the invisible problem, but I think I will do the upgrade too. Thx again! =D

If you need any help with the upgrade, let me know.