Marshy Dearest Dearest will be awarding 500 forum points to anyone who contributes to this project.
I finally have a week where I can run my server open to external users instead of just the local area network. In this week I need to get as many respondents for my dissertation study as possible. I’m hoping at least 10 of you will participate in this. This is the last chance I will get to obtain online response.
I WILL BE RUNNING THIS FROM FRIDAY 22ND Marshy Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest TO THURSDAY 28TH Marshy Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest Dearest
This is insanely important for my final University grade so please don’t just throw this aside.
WHAT AM I TESTING
I am testing to see whether my definition of game theme affects the aesthetic response of a player. Basically, is it possible to make a game with the exact same logic but can apply multiple themes. As an example, consider a mine. This mine could be in space for a Sci Fi theme or in the desert for a Western theme. The objectives of this mine would be extremely similar for both themes as they both exist to do the same basic thing, mine things. This study attempts to create a game which provides levels which are abstract enough to apply multiple themes. It tests if changing the theme causes a change in perception. The difference is calculated by determining any change in your responses for the MDA 8 aspects of fun. These aspects are:
- Sensation: Sensation refers to a game experience revolving around positive visual, audible or sometimes even physical stimulation. Games which excel in this usually focus on providing breathtaking graphical styles or enjoyable soundtracks.
- Fantasy: The fantasy type of response describes a game where players can make-believe. Games which revolve around sparking a playerâ€s imagination or providing an experience that is more interesting that what is found in real life.
- Narrative: A narrative response describes a game which provides an experience where story is the perceived aesthetic. This story could be something intentional by the creators of the game or something that has emerged through the interactions of play.
- Challenge: Challenge refers to a game where the primary emotional feedback is gained through completing challenging obstacles and objectives. Varying challenges are applicable to the preferences of different people.
- Fellowship: This response is found in a game which provides a framework for social interaction. One of the clearest examples of this is within games that require multiple players. This interaction could be derived through competitive or cooperative or play.
- Discovery: A game of discovery explains a solution where the emotional feedback hinges on a players capability to explore and find new things.
- Expression: Expression refers to the type of fun which explains a playerâ€s ability to put something of their personality into a game. This particular game response hinges on features that allow user generated content.
- Submission: This final response describes a game which is played as a past time. This game feedback refers to the aesthetic of submitting to playing a game as a hobby.
WHAT I NEED FROM YOU
Firstly, I need you to fill in the consent form and message it back to me. This basically gives me proof that you are aware of the details of the project and confirm I can use the data you provide. You will need to use your full name and your actual signature (scan it). If you cannot provide your signature, then sign it with your email address and I will send an email to you to confirm your identity. This will be attached to your form of consent. I WILL NOT USE THE DATA IN THIS CONSENT FORM IN THE PROJECT OR DISTRIBUTE YOUR NAME AND SIGNATURE TO ANYONE.
Secondly I need you to fill out this survey as you run the project. I will give you all the details you need about playing the actual game, but the primary idea is you will play a level three times using three themes. Each time you play you fill in a section. When its done, send it over and ill get Marshy Dearest Dearest to issue your forum points.
Please please please help me out with this. The last 4 years of my education and pretty much my career is riding on this project.