Legal Concerns

Hi, im about to publish my game but I have one more additional concern:

My game is set in 1950’s America, and I know by licensing law and copyright law that its ok you commercialy use music older than 50 years in a game/movie - is this true and ok to do?

1. If u mean giving the engine credits, yes. A small thing like Engine = Eclipse or something.

2. Yes if the person who made it allows to do so.

Eclipse is completely open-source, you can do what you like with it as long as credit is given.

In terms of graphics, that’s completely dependent on what the license for those graphics is. Take a look at this for more information: Eclipse Licensing.

As a side note, in future, all you had to do was search “licensing” and plenty of previous topics with the exact same question will come up.

3. My game is set in 1950’s America, and I know by licensing law and copyright law that its ok you commercialy use music older than 50 years in a game/movie - is this true and ok to do?

-disregard-

3. My game is set in 1950’s America, and I know by licensing law and copyright law that its ok you commercialy use music older than 50 years in a game/movie - is this true and ok to do?

Are u talking about usage of music older than 50 yrs, or usage of music in games that have a story which is based 50 yrs ago?

In the UK, licensing on creative works last 70 years after the author’s death – assuming any future copyright holders don’t renew it. As for the rest of the world, I can’t say, I’m not aware of any other country specific copyright laws.

I suggest you take your research off of Eclipse, though, the large majority of what responses you’ll get are where members can think they can create laws and conventions on the spot. :P

In the UK, licensing on creative works last 70 years after the author’s death – assuming any future copyright holders don’t renew it. As for the rest of the world, I can’t say, I’m not aware of any other country specific copyright laws.

I suggest you take your research off of Eclipse, though, the large majority of what responses you’ll get are where members can think they can create laws and conventions on the spot. :P

Carim’s reply was accurate:

http://www.premiumbe…opyright-myths/

http://www.pdinfo.co…pyright-Law.php

In short the answer is no, you cannot use 1950’s copyrighted music in your game legally without the express permission from the author or copyright holder. There are quite a few sites dedicated to public domain music; might want to have a look around.