EVB, sometimes known as EclipseVB or “If EO2.0 was continued”, is my attempt at creating a real engine and not a pre-made game as many engines coming out back in 2012/3 seemed to be. It’s meant to be used as a base but has all the essentials for making your own ORPG.
EclipseVB has the same features and functionality you would expect from EO with a few necessary additions, bug fixes and optimisations:
- Dynamic conversation system: This system allows users to create full conversations with multiple response options similar to systems you would see in top-end RPG games. On top of that the system includes an event system - you can apply an event to each conversation such as “warp player”, “give item”, “open bank”, etc. Usage: /editconv.
- Quest system: One thing that Origins lacked was a good supported quest system. I do feel that to make a successful RPG you will require some sort of quest system so we’ve implemented that to help add some variety to projects. Usage: /editquest.
- Bug fixes: Thanks to the community we’ve been able to add in all the bug fixes you’ve found over the past few years and integrated them into a full stable release.
- Optimisations: EO is in no way a badly optimised engine - in fact it is very well optimised. We have though taken into consideration a few suggestions about where performance could be improved and we’ve fixed quite a few major performance issues.
- Documentation: Unlike previous engines, this engine features a whole folder full of documentation about the various features of the engine.
Check out EVB
You can download it here:
EclipseVB v2.6.0 -> v2.6.1
! - Quests and conversations are now compressed via Zlib. [Credits: Richy]
- Quest convs now end if you have not met all the objectives.
- Fixed crashes if a newly registered player logged out on a PVP map.
- Fixed not being able to register after logging in before.
- Fixed spell animations not playing if that spell kills the enemy. [Credits: SkywardRiver]
- Questgivers now have a “!” above their heads if they have an available quest. [Credits: SkywardRiver]
- Questgivers now have a “?” above their heads if their quest is currently in progress.
EclipseVB v2.5.2 -> v2.6.0
! - Game data packets are now compressed via Zlib. [Credits: Robin/JC/Richy]
- Added a button to reload conversations.
- Fixed serverside MOTD controls.
- Fixed DoTs not stacking with other sources of damage. [Credits: SkywardRiver]
EclipseVB v2.5.1 -> v2.5.2
! - Updated the shop GUI to reflect the changes made in a previous update.
- Fixed clicking on an item not displaying its cost.
- Added functions for reading/writing currencies, singles, and doubles to the buffer.
EclipseVB v2.5.0 -> v2.5.1
! - Fixed the instant disconnect when changing map morals.
- Fixed quests not being completed despite completing all of the objectives.
- Fixed quest progress messages being displayed despite not being on those quests.
- Fixed quest items not being taken away on completion.
- Fixed the quest log not being repopulated on quest completion.
- Updated the default quest.
EclipseVB v2.4.0 -> v2.5.0
! - Tightened up input and movement.
- Reduced the default constants.
- Versions are now handled through constants in modConstants (both sides).
- Fixed the quest editor not allowing you to change item/conversation indexes & values.
- Cleaned up and optimised the gameloop slightly.
- Fixed the fps counter.
- Level, class and quest requirements can now be set for quests.
- Increased the length of quest names (uses NAME_LENGTH now).
- NPCs can now have specific conversation chats set for specific quest stages.
- Added quest progress messages (i.e. “5/10 worms killed”).
- Added a 10 second delay to logging out on PVP maps (prevents logging out to survive).
- Removed the “PK” system.
- Fixed item and conversation quests.
- Replaced quest tasks with quest objectives. Objectives can be progressed simultaneously.
- Dozens of misc. quest system bug fixes and changes.
- Fixed attacking/talking to NPCs not working sometimes.
- Walking whilst in a conversation now closes the conversation.
- The starting map, x and y are now handled in the server’s options.ini.
- The client will now go back to the main menu after losing connection to the server.
- Fixed instant cast spells not leaving the spell buffer.
- The “docs” folder is now located in the root folder.
- Added documentation for making quests.
- Fixed player stunning. [Credits: Justin]
EclipseVB v2.3.0 -> v2.4.0
! - Fixed the attack animation not being sent unless damage is done. [Credits: iRicardo]
- Fixed the delete button in the shop editor.
- Added a new centralised editor. Usage: /editgame.
- Removed the serverside logging system.
- The server connection timeout is now a constant.
- Cleaned up the conversation, item, resource and npc editors.
- Removed the RAW parameter from the FileExist function (serverside).
- The hotbar now uses 0-9, - and = in place of the function keys.
- Removed the system tray functionality.
- The server now comes with a “docs” folder that contains useful tutorials.
- The runtimes are now included in the client folder.
- Removed the checks for admin PVPing.
- Fixed being able to re-cast a spell while already casting it.
- Fixed consumable items not being removed from the hotbar.
- Added a blocking algorithm to CanPlayerBlock. [Credits: Yukiyo]
- Fixed being able to use the hotbar whilst in a bank, trade or shop.
- Created a constant for the minimum pvp level: MIN_PVP_LEVEL.
- Fixed the chat not clearing when it loses focus.
- Fixed not being able to withdraw currencies.
- Removed the unused “mastery” and “handed” variables in the ItemRec.
- The MOTD can now be set from the server console.
- 3 random items (excluding gold) are now dropped on death.
- NPCs will now react to 0-damage attacks.
- Fixed targets not clearing on death. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Removed the shop buy and sell buttons.
- Shop buying is now done through double-clicking in the shop window.
- Shop selling is now done through double-clicking the inventory item.
- Fixed the damage label not displaying “defence” for armour and shields.
- Fixed quests not being cleared in the quest log on quest finish.
- Added support for RMXP-style autotiles. [Credits: Robin]
- Fixed NPC interactions not being registered sometimes.
- Added a constant for MAX_BLOOD.
EclipseVB v2.2.1 -> v2.3.0
! - Optimisations and code cleanups.
EclipseVB v2.2.0 -> v2.2.1
! - Removed Binds and replaced them with Tradable and Untradable items.
- The three most valuable items in your inventory are now dropped on death.
- Fixed “You are already on this quest” message
- Fixed global messages crashing the client.
- The quest list now automatically updates.
- Fixed an issue with UpdateMapLogic.
EclipseVB v2.1.4 -> v2.2.0
! - Fixed picConv not clearing on logout.
- Music and sound can now have any (supported) extension.
- Added a cooldown to item consuming.
- Added a quest system. Usage: /editquest.
- Game data is now cleared on login. [Credits: iRicardo]
- Fixed recently learnt spells not being sent. [Credits: iRicardo]
- Fixed the slide attribute. [Credits: iRicardo, ValentineBr]
- Fixed targets not being cleared on logout. [Credits: iRicardo]
- Fixed defence not being taken into account. [Credits: Ryoku for the formula]
- Fixed resources not being able to be collected without a weapon.
- Added a serverside button for clearing all online players’ quests (useful for debugging).
EclipseVB v2.1.3 -> v2.1.4
! - Fixed an error when loading the game with music off.
- Fixed string lengths not matching up on convs.
- Fixed crashing when creating a new character.
- Removed old form files.
EclipseVB v2.1.2 -> v2.1.3
! - Fixed sounds playing even if disabled.
- Fixed music not turning off when disabling it.
- Fixed the kick button not doing anything. [Credits: iRicardo]
EclipseVB v2.1.1 -> v2.1.2
! - Fixed being able to restart the same conversation.
- Fixed the “CurChat” scrollbar being able to exceed the ChatCount.
- Clicking the chatbox will now set focus on the chat bar.
- Fixed the “delete” button in the conversation editor.
- Fixed the sound combobox in the conversation editor.
- Fixed the bad centering on conversation replies.
- Changed the length of conversation text and replies.
- Added tab to target.
EclipseVB v2.1.0 -> v2.1.1
! - Conversations can now have faces (added in the NPC editor).
- Fixed NPCs and players being able to move whilst chatting.
- Fixed being able to move while picCurrency was visible in banks.
- Added a warping (map, x, y) event to the conversation system.
- Added a “heal player” event to the conversation system.
- Added sounds to the conversation system.
EclipseVB v2.0.2 -> v2.1.0
! - Fixed not being able to move after relogging in a bank.
- Changed the timeout for connections to 5 seconds (up from 3).
- Removed the unused CharSlot parameter in SendUseChar.
- Changed the longs in Get/SetPlayerPK to bytes.
- Removed the useless YES and NO boolean constants.
- Fixed the data/packet flooding timer not resetting.
- Fixed the attack timer not being checked when using resources. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Added the constants for missing editors serverside.
- Fixed the frame skipping when NPCs walk.
- Fixed having to click “Okay” to update attributes.
- Stopped data being sent to maps with 0 players.
- Various gameloop & networking optimisations. [Including some by iRicardo].
- Added a new conversation system! Use /editconv. [Thanks to Matthew and Richy too!]
- Fixed the stat bonuses carrying over to new items in the item editor.
EclipseVB v2.0.1 -> v2.0.2
! - Added a messagebox displaying the packet that caused a packet error.
- Fixed the PlayerDir packet being sent too often. [Credits: Rob Janes]
- Optimised the Set/GetPlayerDir functions to use bytes instead of longs.
- Added multiple drops with percentile chances for NPCs.
- Fixed being able to type in the chatbox.
- Replaced the old DirectSound engine with BASS.
- Removed the “RAW” parameter from the FileExist function.
- Fixed the memory leak with text rendering. [Credits: Lightning]
- Added minimise and close buttons to editor forms.
- Modified the NPC editor to add the new conversation options.
- Fixed players with names = name_length not being able to login. [Credits: Richy]
Eclipse Origins v2.0.0 -> EclipseVB v2.0.1
! - Fixed a level up security hole. [Credits: Robin]
- Fixed spells with indexes over 35. [Credits: Niall]
- Fixed player messages. [Credits: Xlithan]
- Fixed the hotbar. [Credits: Robin]
- Fixed picSpells not refreshing. [Credits: Helladen]
- Fixed NPC_HighIndexes. [Credits: Helladen]
- Fixed an overflow error in the currency menu. [Credits: Helladen]
- Fixed some trading system crashes. [Credits: Ryoku Hasu]
- Fixed targetted heal HP/MP and Damage HP Spells. [Credits: Joyce]
- Fixed animations in the NPC editor not saving. [Credits: Sotvotkong]
- Fixed GetPlayerClass clientside. [Credits: Riiicardoo]
- Friendly NPCs must now have 1 point in each stat. [Credits: Scootaloo]
- Fixed the EXP bar only working for the first player. [Credits: Terabin]
- Fixed the “Slide” map attribute crashes. [Credits: iHero]
- Fixed spirit over time spells. [Credits: Soul]
- Fixed starting spells. [Credits: Noth]
- Fixed the classes dropdown box in the spell editor. [Credits: Noth]
- Fixed an error in the OnDeath procedure. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Corrected the time between attacks for NPCs. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Fixed an error caused by NPCs landing a critical hit. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Fixed item animations. [Credits: GuardianBR]
- Fixed some bank crashes. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Fixed a lag spike caused when accepting trades. [Credits: Matthew]
- Fixed a couple of player movement issues. [Credits: ValentineBr]
- Fixed vitals not updating after a level up. [Credits: iRicardo]
- Fixed the non-existant /info command. [Credits: iRicardo]
- Fixed the shop editor not loading properly. [Credits: iRicardo]
! [Credits to Erwin for adding all the above fixes into the engine]
! - Various code cleanups and optimisations.
- NPCs and players will now automatically be targetted when attacked.
- Fixed healing NPCs causing their overall health to increase.
- You can now walk through players on safe maps.
- Fixed party EXP sharing and party leaving. [Credits: Terabin]
- Fixed being able to be invited to a party whilst you’re inviting someone else.
- Converted chat functions to letters (e.g. /b [global message], /e [emote], /w [whisper]).
- Fixed emote messages.
- Added a party chat system: usage /p message.
- Removed the Read/WriteInteger functions. Integers are slow; use longs or bytes.
- Replaced GetTickCount with the more reliable timeGetTime.
- The /info command can now only be used if you are on a safe map.
- Fixed the stats command erroring if the player didn’t exist.
- Added WASD and got rid of the arrow key movement.
- Added replacement strings in NPC attacksays: <class>and <playername>.</playername></class>