[Eclipse 3.0] Targeting Event Characters

Hi All,

I’ve noticed that if you have a character as an event (i.e. the NPC is created via the event interface, e.g. the NPCs in the default/test map) you can’t target them like normal NPCs.
How would I go about fixing this, or is there already a fix?

Thanks.

Well, they are not handled as NPCs… So targetting them would have zero use and just crash the client and/or server. Events are completely seperate ‘beings’. :]

@Joyce:

Well, they are not handled as NPCs… So targetting them would have zero use and just crash the client and/or server. Events are completely seperate ‘beings’. :]

I thought that might be the case. I would merely want it to show the target ‘icon’ simply for consistency and aesthetic reasons. Would it be possible, or not? I imagine not…

It would, you could handle it to render it and ‘target’ it, but just not send it to the server so the server thinks you have nothing selected.

Hm, that’s basically what I want. I don’t want it to do anything, just for consistency.
However, I’m not sure how I’d go about targeting a specific part of the event system (I just want to target the NPC-type events)… I’ll have a look.

You could look at how the Show Name checkbox is handled, and use a similar method to achieve what you want to do. :]

@Joyce:

You could look at how the Show Name checkbox is handled, and use a similar method to achieve what you want to do. :]

Do you mean this bit:

Private Sub chkShowName_Click()
    tmpEvent.Pages(curPageNum).ShowName = chkShowName.value
End Sub

That, along with the server-side of it, and then you’ll need to handle the client logic as well. :] The way events are stored and sent is a little odd and confusing.

Hm… Yeah, it is very confusing. I think I’ll leave it for someone more skilled than myself, I wouldn’t know where to go with the event system. xD