Hi guys, I am currently working on a raspberry pi project and i figure i should make some kind of tutorial or build log, so here it is.
This project started when i orderd 8 broken gamegears on ebay. I was able to fix all of them but 1.
The gamegear looked ok on the outside but the inside was bad. The batteries has leaked all over everything.
At this point I decided to make my own handheld.
I knew i would need a few parts and a ton of time.
The parts i orderd where
12 tactile switches (i got surface mount because its all radioshack carried. Thru hole would be way easier.)
a 5 inch hdmi lcd display from ebay (it was about 25 dollars)
A raspberry pi 2
a micro sd card
a usb lipo charging circut
a 3.7volt to 5 volt step up converter
a replacement laptop battery
a 3 watt audio amplifier circut
and a micro usb externsion cable.
(this project also required som old video game controllers but that is dependant on how many buttons you plan on adding)
I began but cutting up a fake snes controller so i could take the shoulder buttons and the abxy
i used a dremel to cut out the area around the buttons so they would work as normal
i did the same to a playstation 1 controller to get the l2 and r2 buttons.
I replaced the original buttons with tactile switches
I cut out the areas where i wanted to add buttons and used hot glue to tack everything in place.
Once I got a fitment I liked I began doing layers of JB weld.
This is the part that takes the longest. I would do a layer, sand it back and repeat until you have the contours you like.
I spent about 10 hours doing this, Once it is smooth enough you can start applying primer.
Then you get out some fine grit sand paper and sand it back do as many layers as you need to for smoothness.
I took this time to cut out the screen area.
Then i began to test fit everything.
For the battery setup I took a laptop battery and tore it apart. (laptop batteries are made of 3.7volt 18650 batteries wired in series.
Just break them down to single 18650 cells.
Then I began some soldering for the buttons
I wired it so all of the buttons share a common ground (meaning less wires.)
I took note of the wiring colors I used because it becomes important later.
Then I hotglued the pcbs in place behind the switches.
I then used hotglue to tack the screen and batteries in place and test fit with all the batteries. (the batterys are going to be fired in parallel giving my 9ah of battery power.)
This project isnt done. the list of crap i need to finish is
solder button connections directly to the gpio pins.
solder in the charging circut and make a charging port in the case
and possibly order a new screen.
solder in audio amp and headphone jack.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask