The plan, moving forward.

@‘God’:

Bad decisions are what killed Eclipse. Lots of them.

The lack of an engine contributes to the stagnation of the community which is actually a cumulative effect alongside many other problems a few of which I touched upon in the other post, but it’s not solely the reason that’s going to fix everything- if the underlying problems of continual bad decisions doesn’t get fixed soon it’s going to the point where even those of us who still care (to some degree) are going to give up on it.

You could argue that Marsh sold the website because he felt it was stagnating due to the lack of an engine and thus was the catalyst that began the death knells of Eclipse.

I’d argue that when he sold it, it wasn’t much more alive than now. Sure, there may have been more people around but even those numbers don’t compare to what they were in the past.

Couldn’t agree more. 100%

A lot of people don’t know this, but the site was rolling downhill for the longest time. That’s something I’d expect the veterans to be able to point out. The constant down fall of the site is no one’s fault, it’s simply people have moved on due to the site not being able to give them anything or help them move further. Also, bad decisions.

In a roundabout way that’s what I meant with my comment about Marsh selling the website off. He saw it happening and wasn’t able to come up with a way to stop it.

@‘God’:

In a roundabout way that’s what I meant with my comment about Marsh selling the website off. He saw it happening and wasn’t able to come up with a way to stop it.

Possible, but from what I gathered at the time there were major factors outside of the site that contributed to him wanting/needing to sell it.

Marsh working in the industry could also be a huge factor. I don’t know what kind of NDA’s & Non-competes he has signed, but we could be in deep sh** if we were doing any kind of dabbling in game dev outside of work.

Yeah- that inner-industry contractual stuff is what killed Spork’s engine and community.

The site was still pretty popular but definitely not the size it was back in the day, we were in the top 100,000 websites in the world at one point according to alexa. I knew the site was declining it was mostly due to the fact that I was growing up and had full times jobs and college etc. I could no longer spend all day building Eclipse and advertising. I definitely knew we needed a new engine and it wasnt going to happen without a lot of work which I could not provide at the time. Though the reason I sold it was that I had no money left not even for food. I was behind on my college payments by a month or two and could not graduate without paying it off. All my credit cards where maxed out, student loans maxed out, had already borrowed from my family. They had already shut off my school account I was borrowing other accounts to login and attending classes my teacher was letting it slide. I sold the site so that I could pay off my remaining college fees and move to Quebec to try to find a job. As for the job that came after I sold Eclipse so it had nothing to do with it. Fun fact! I am still 20k+ in debt of student loans and some taxes, but I have payed off all my credit cards without bankruptcy!

It is something I regret a bit but thats how life works, I am even busier then before arguably so I am not sure I would have been a better owner. Amish had some big ideas and more importantly the money to build a new engine and make things happen. Hindsight is 20/20.

There is more to it but that is the 30 second verison.

@‘Marsh’:

The site was still pretty popular but definitely not the size it was back in the day, we were in the top 100,000 websites in the world at one point according to alexa. I knew the site was declining it was mostly due to the fact that I was growing up and had full times jobs and college etc. I could no longer spend all day building Eclipse and advertising. I definitely knew we needed a new engine and it wasnt going to happen without a lot of work which I could not provide at the time. Though the reason I sold it was that I had no money left not even for food. I was behind on my college payments by a month or two and could not graduate without paying it off. All my credit cards where maxed out, student loans maxed out, had already borrowed from my family. They had already shut off my school account I was borrowing other accounts to login and attending classes my teacher was letting it slide. I sold the site so that I could pay off my remaining college fees and move to Quebec to try to find a job. As for the job that came after I sold Eclipse so it had nothing to do with it. Fun fact! I am still 20k+ in debt of student loans and some taxes, but I have payed off all my credit cards without bankruptcy!

It is something I regret a bit but thats how life works, I am even busier then before arguably so I am not sure I would have been a better owner. Amish had some big ideas and more importantly the money to build a new engine and make things happen. Hindsight is 20/20.

Perhaps you thought I was blaming you- I wasn’t. The site fell on hard times, you needed money- the problem is that Amish had money and no brains and made the situation much worse.

I did not think that, just thought I would answer why since people were speculating.

@‘Marsh’:

The site was still pretty popular but definitely not the size it was back in the day, we were in the top 100,000 websites in the world at one point according to alexa. I knew the site was declining it was mostly due to the fact that I was growing up and had full times jobs and college etc. I could no longer spend all day building Eclipse and advertising. I definitely knew we needed a new engine and it wasnt going to happen without a lot of work which I could not provide at the time. Though the reason I sold it was that I had no money left not even for food. I was behind on my college payments by a month or two and could not graduate without paying it off. All my credit cards where maxed out, student loans maxed out, had already borrowed from my family.  They had already shut off my school account I was borrowing other accounts to login and attending classes my teacher was letting it slide. I sold the site so that I could pay off my remaining college fees and move to Quebec to try to find a job. As for the job that came after I sold Eclipse so it had nothing to do with it. Fun fact! I am still 20k+ in debt of student loans and some taxes, but I have payed off all my credit cards without bankruptcy!

Damn, right as I was considering bankruptcy as an option… you have motivated me, sir. Haha, let’s be real here though, site owner or not - you’re still Marsh. Glad to hear you’re bouncing back, wasn’t life so much easier when were able to play with these engines?

Glad to help 😛

and yes it really was. Simpler times. Maybe one day we can get back there.

Skyward reminds me of myself years ago, when I was bashing Eclipse direction. 😉

You guys even if 2-D games are dead, especially MMOs - don’t mean there isn’t a big enough demand. You can make a 2-D MMO that generates income to feed you and a family of 5. You just got to be good enough and make it work on mobile. Simply put.

@‘Irij’:

@‘SkywardRiver’:

All for the lolz while I actually do stuff.

TL;DR: You care in some way and since you do, why not try to contribute to the community like you have before to bring this place somewhat back? Ultimately it’s your decision and I appreciate everything you’ve done sincerely, as I really do appreciate this place as it’s given me a lot of joy over the years of utilizing what this place brought us.

Because I’ve been doing that since Amish left (until about a month ago) and still got treated like a near ban-worthy nuisance every time I spoke my mind. Or if a bug was found in Skywyre it was (in some cases) all my fault and how dare I call myself a programmer. I don’t want to be part of some toxic regime that treats it’s vets, again, like some near ban-worthy nuisance.

@‘Helladen’:

Skyward reminds me of myself years ago, when I was bashing Eclipse direction. 😉

You guys even if 2-D games are dead, especially MMOs - don’t mean there isn’t a big enough demand. You can make a 2-D MMO that generates income to feed you and a family of 5. You just got to be good enough and make it work on mobile. Simply put.

I’m not bashing the direction of Eclipse, because it HAS no direction lol. And yeah, a good 2D MMO can still preform wonderfully in the market today! I just feel that they won’t be being made here in the years to come.

The attitude is wrong is all. I tried to help fix the direction, not worth the trouble though.