This thread is to tell you what information is needed and helpful when creating a bug report. Saying an error number and nothing else makes finding and fixing bugs very difficult, so I’m making a list of needed and helpful information for you to include to help me help you and fix bugs.
Remember, finding bugs is usually quite difficult: the more information I have, the better chance I have to find the bug.
REQUIRED - This information is needed to help me find a bug, I won’t be able to help much without it:
- Did you get an error message? If so, what was the message? (Pictures help)
- Was the error on the client or server?
- What were you doing leading up to the bug?
- Can you reproduce the error? (Do you keep getting the bug?)
- Have you made any source edits? If so, to what?
OPTIONAL - This information is optional to include but can help find the bug:
- Video of the error
\server\data folder(send it via PM if you don’t want it public)
Hi, I’m having a bug when I talk to a quest NPC.
- Did you get an error message? Yes,
error 9 subscript out of range
- Was the error on the client or server? Client
- What were you doing leading up to the bug? I walked over to the quest NPC and pressed Ctrl to talk to it
- Can you reproduce the error? Yes, it happens every time
- Have you made any source edits? Yes, to the number of map layers
This report helps me know that there’s most likely an issue with the GUI code for quest NPCs. I know where I should start looking so I can fix the error in 5-10 minutes. Just saying “NPCs are buggy” doesn’t help me find the bug.